Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Ephron's Short Story pgs 201-213 (3rd response)

        Although the detailed writing of Ephrom's short story was a little awkward at parts (especially for the guys in the class, I can imagine), it did bring back some not-so-fond memories! I remember in Junior high feeling the exact same way, although not about the part that the way you sit or thread a needle could possibly switch your gender. This story made me wince in sympathy for the narrator, as I established a connection. Her honesty made this more fun to read. One of the parts that I most enjoyed was when she was talking about cramps and how she couldn't go swimming during that "time." I've seen so many young, teenage girls just sitting by the pool, dangling their feet in the water, and some of them have even proudly whispered to me that they "started." I found it interesting that Ephron's mother didn't wear a bra until after her fourth child. This makes me want to research if bras weren't as important back in the day or if her mom was just a rebel, of sorts. I also found the suggestions that people told our narrator to do to help her situation quite intriging (I'd never heard the last one before).
       Her humor was portrayed in such a manner-of-fact way, that reading this story made me laugh many times! Two possible reasons are that 1) I have thought many of the same things she wrote about or 2) I know someone who has thought those same things. (I also know some girls who have the opposite "problem.") Although I felt sorry that Ephron thinks she "brings out the competitiveness" in other women-because they comment on her bust size-I don't think it is as big a deal today. I certainly haven't heard anyone go up to a girl at a party and talk about that! I really liked the last sentence, even though I don't approve of cussing, because it was so honest. I can picture her putting herself in the other girls' shoes and thinking, "...really!?" I'm interested in hearing what the guys in our class think about this short story!


No comments:

Post a Comment